Two of the most popular products for maintaining facial hair are beard balm and beard oil. Many bearded person are confused about the use of this two product as they think both are used for the same reason. But beard balm and beard oil has different uses for beard care.
This article will clear all the doubts related to beard balm and beard oil by simplifying the differences between these two products, their benefits, and choosing the best one for you.
What Is Beard Balm?
A Beard balm is a blend of natural ingredients such as beeswax, shea butter, and carrier oils, that is designed to style, hold, and condition facial hair. These ingredients moisturize the beard and add a healthy shine to it. It also nourishes and moisturizes the skin underneath the beard, preventing dryness and itchiness.
- ‘Balm‘ is derived from the word ‘Balsam’ which is a sticky substance. It belongs to the succulent family and is used to kill skin germs.
- Beard balm heals the discomfort or irritation that may arise during beard growth. Its moisturizing function helps to take care of the beard.
In short, Beard balm has the functionality to combat itching, make the beard soft and heal irritation. It is anti-frizz and helps to control the oiliness.
Beard Balm Uses and Benefits
‘After beard growth’ stage care or beard design purposes
Beard Balm can be used for these purposes. Because it helps to moisten the skin/face and makes the beard soft. Beard Balm can be used as a ‘foam’ when designing your beard.
Reduce skin irritation and itching
When the skin faces dehydration problem, the irritation and itching problem occurs. Beard balm helps to reduce this problem by moisturizing the face and ensuring the comfort of your skin.
To make the beard soft
Own a thick and rough-textured beard? Or if you have a short or full beard, you can use beard balm to soften the beard.
Beard Balm Drawbacks
- Can feel heavy or greasy on your beard and skin.
- May not provide enough hydration or nourishment for your beard and skin.
- Difficult to apply evenly or in small amounts.
- Require more time and effort to style and shape your beard.
What Is Beard Oil
As the name says, it’s not the same as cooking oil! Its formulation process is completely different. Beard oil is specially made to apply to the beard to improve the beard appearance.
- There is a deficiency of natural hydration at the larger part of the beard hair. So, the hair becomes rough and curled. Beard oil helps to remove the roughness of the hair by restoring the oiliness and making the hair healthy and smooth.
- There are different types of beard oil with various combinations of the different components – Argan oil, and Jojoba oil are the main assets that are used in almost every type of beard oil.
Argan oil – This oil has anti-frizz properties and is powerful for the recovery of hair moisturizing. It removes the dryness of the hair and makes it soft. It also has regenerative and anti-oxidant properties on the skin to prevent the hair from greying.
Jojoba Oil – It helps to moisturize the hairs to make them smooth and shiny and control the oiliness.
Beard Oil Uses and Benefits
To improve the beard appearance
Natural hydration is provided by the skin. But in a long beard, there is a deficiency of hydration at the longer part as the hydration cannot reach there. Beard oil is helpful for this purpose which provides proper hydration and makes the hair strong.
For beard alignment
Aligning a beard wrong can waste all the efforts done growing the long beard! If you are a sufferer of this problem, use specific beard oil products and beard balm when aligning them.
Get a beautiful smell from your beard all day long
Beard oil has a mellow scent. Use Beard oil and balm which will leave a sweet smell on your beard.
Beard Oil Drawbacks
- Does not provide enough hold or shape for your beard.
- May not be suitable for people with allergies or sensitive skin.
- Require more frequent applications to maintain its benefits.
Difference Between Beard Balm and Beard Oil
As we discussed in this article, depending on your beard and the underneath skin, you can choose a beard balm or beard oil or both. Both products are designed to improve the health and appearance of your beard, but they work in slightly different ways. Take a look at the comparison table below to the key differences between beard balm and beard oil based on their uses, benefits, composition, function, and application method.
Comparison Table: Beard Balm vs Beard Oil
|Beard Balm||Beard Oil|
|Purpose||Conditioning and styling||Conditioning and moisturizing|
|Ingredients||Beeswax, Butter, Carrier oils||Carrier oils|
|Application||Hands, Comb||Hands, Dropper|
|Hold||Medium to strong||Light to medium|
Beard Oil or Beard Balm: Which One Should You Choose?
It can be difficult to decide which one is right for you between beard balm and beard oil. To make an informed decision, consider the following factors:
- Beard Type and Length: For a longer or thicker beard, beard balm is recommended for styling and shaping up your beard. Beard balm has a thicker consistency than beard oil, which makes it better at holding longer, thicker beards in place. On the other hand, if you have a shorter or thinner beard, beard oil may be a better choice for hydration and softening.
- Skin Type: Beard oil is a better choice for dry skin. Beard oil is typically lighter and more easily absorbed by the skin than beard balm. However, if you have oily or acne-prone skin, beard balm is suggested for your irritated skin.
- Styling Needs: Consider your styling goals when choosing between beard balm vs beard oil. If you’re looking to shape and style your beard, beard balm is the way to go. If you’re more concerned with moisturizing and conditioning your beard, beard oil may be a better option.
- Ingredients: Make sure the beard balm or beard oil you choose contains natural, nourishing ingredients that are good for your beard and skin. Avoid products that contain harsh chemicals or synthetic fragrances.
Ultimately, there is no one-size-fits-all answer when it comes to choosing between beard balm vs beard oil. It all comes down to your personal preference and the needs of your beard. Both products offer unique benefits and drawbacks. With the right beard balm or beard oil, you can keep your beard looking healthy, clean, and stylish for years to come.
We encourage you to watch the below video which will help you understand the choice better.
Can You Use Beard Balm and Beard Oil Together
Beard oil is primarily used for moisturizing and conditioning the hair and skin, while beard balm provides hold and shape to the beard. You can use beard balm and beard oil together. The combination of beard oil and beard balm can provide a range of benefits for the beard, including moisturizing, conditioning, shaping, and styling.
To use beard balm and beard oil together, start by applying a small amount of beard oil to your beard, making sure to work it through the hair and onto the skin. This helps to moisturize and condition the hair and skin. Then, apply a small amount of beard balm, working it into the hair and skin, using your fingers to shape the beard as desired.
Hope that all of your confusion about beard balm and beard oil is cleared now. Take care of the beard by using these beard care products according to your need and rock with a dashing beard. Best of luck!