Whether you’re aiming for a curled-up imperial mustache or a downward horseshoe mustache, knowing how to train your mustache is essential.
You may have come across men with perfect mustaches that appear so natural. Surprisingly, these mustaches are not always the result of natural growth. Rather, these men have put in the effort to train their mustaches using the right tools and techniques
Regardless of whether you’re looking to curl up your mustache, grow it horizontally, or achieve a specific style, we’ve done all the research for you. So let’s get started on training your mustache with the right techniques and tools!
Factors That Influence Mustache Growth Direction
Your mustache growth direction can be influenced by several factors.
- Genetics: The natural growth direction of your mustache is primarily determined by your genetics. The texture and pattern of your mustache are inherited from your family.
- Mustache hair follicle shape: The shape of your hair follicles can impact the direction and pattern of mustache growth. Generally, if your follicles are round, your mustache hair will grow straight. Alternatively, if your follicles are oval, your mustache will grow in a wavy pattern. An elliptical-shaped follicle produces a curly mustache.
- Length and texture: It is important to consider your mustache hair’s length and texture. Longer facial hairs tend to be more curly than short hair. Facial hair with coarse texture is difficult to train.
- Grooming habits: Your grooming habits, such as combing or brushing your mustache, can influence its growth direction. Regularly combing or brushing your mustache in the desired direction can train the hairs to grow in that direction over time.
- Use of styling products: Applying styling products like mustache wax or beard balm can be effective for setting the direction of your mustache growth. These products provide hold and structure, allowing you to shape your mustache in your desired direction.
- Sleeping habits: The way you sleep can also impact your mustache growth direction. Sleeping on one side puts pressure on your mustache. This can lead your mustache hairs to grow in a certain direction.
Preparing for Mustache Training
Same as training your beard, you have to prepare yourself before start training your mustache.
Choose A Mustache Style
Popular options include:
Gather Essential Tools
These may include:
- Short scissor
- Mustache Wax
- Straightener (optional)
Steps to Train Your Mustache
Now that you have chosen your desired mustache style and gathered the essential tools, it’s time to train your mustache.
Step 1: Keep It Clean and Healthy
Maintaining a clean and healthy mustache is crucial for effective training. Regularly wash your mustache using a mustache-specific shampoo or conditioner. Keeping your mustache clean will make it more manageable and easier to style.
Step 2: Comb and Brush Regularly
Develop a habit of combing or brushing your mustache daily. This helps in taming the hairs and training them to grow in the desired direction. Use a fine-toothed comb or a small mustache brush for the best results.
Step 3: Apply Mustache Wax
Mustache wax provides hold and structure to your mustache, allowing you to shape it in your preferred style. To apply the wax, warm a small amount between your fingers and then evenly distribute it throughout your mustache. Use a comb or brush to style your mustache in the desired direction.
Step 4: Trim and Shape
Regularly trim your mustache to maintain your chosen style. Use short scissors or a trimmer for precision cutting. Be cautious not to trim too much, as it’s easier to take off more hair later than to undo an overzealous trim.
Step 5: Use Straightener (Optional)
For particularly stubborn mustache hairs, you can use a mini beard straightener to train them. Be sure to use a heat protectant spray and be gentle when applying heat to avoid damaging your mustache hair.
Step 6: Maintain Your Beard Care Routine Regularly
It takes time and patience to train your mustache. so, be sincere with your training routine and give your mustache time to adapt to its new shape. Over time, you’ll notice your mustache hairs growing in the desired direction.
1. How long does it take to train a mustache?
On average, It takes about 8-10 weeks to train a mustache. But you may need more or less time depending on your mustache pattern and texture.
2. What type of mustache wax should I use for mustache training?
Use a high-quality mustache wax that can give hold and shape to train your mustache.
3. Can I change my mustache style after training it for a particular look?
Yes, you can change your mustache style after training it for a specific look. Keep in mind that it may take some time for your mustache hairs to adapt to the new direction and shape.
So, now know everything about how to train a mustache. Start the training process confidently and achieve the perfect mustache style that reflects your unique personality and style.