Imagine, just for a moment, that you are kicking back and catchin’ a glimpse of yourself in the mirror. A sudden thought crosses your mind, “should I grow a beard or mustache?“
The mighty beard—an icon of rugged masculinity, a symbol of wisdom, and a true force to be reckoned with. And the marvelous mustache—a versatile, enigmatic contender that can swing from quirky to sophisticated in the blink of an eye.
It’s the showdown we’ve all been waiting for, and it’s time to get up close and personal with these legendary warriors of the facial hair kingdom.
So, prepare for a wild ride with the ultimate facial hair face-off underway, the question remains: will you join Team Beard or Team Mustache?
What is a Beard?
A beard is a type of facial hair that grows on the chin, cheeks, and upper lip. Beards come in various styles, including full beard, goatee, and Van Dyke. A full beard covers the entire lower face, while a goatee consists of hair only on the chin. A Van Dyke beard is a combination of a mustache and goatee, with no hair on the cheeks.
Advantages of a Beard
- A beard can make you look more masculine and mature.
- It can help you appear more confident and assertive.
- A beard can protect your face from sunburn, cold weather, and other environmental factors.
- Beards are stylish and trendy, and they can enhance your appearance.
Disadvantages of a Beard
- Beards require regular maintenance and grooming, including trimming and shaping.
- Some people may find beards unattractive or unkempt.
- Beards can accumulate food particles and bacteria, leading to bad breath and skin problems.
- Some jobs and workplaces may not allow beards, limiting your career choices.
What is a Mustache?
A mustache is a type of facial hair that grows only on the upper lip. Mustaches come in various shapes and sizes, including the classic handlebar, the pencil-thin mustache, and the walrus mustache.
Advantages of a Mustache
- A mustache can make you look more distinguished and sophisticated.
- It can help you stand out from the crowd and make a statement.
- Mustaches require less maintenance than beards and are easier to groom.
- Mustaches can enhance your facial features and complement your style.
Disadvantages of a Mustache
- Mustaches can make you look older or outdated, depending on the style.
- Some people may find mustaches creepy or unattractive.
- Mustaches can interfere with eating, drinking, and kissing.
- Mustaches may not suit certain face shapes or hair types.
Beard vs Mustache: Which Style Should You Choose?
Deciding between a beard and a mustache can be a hairy situation. But don’t fret—we’ve got you covered with some key factors to consider before you commit to your new facial hair style. Mixing it up with some juicy descriptions and nifty bullet points, here’s what you need to know:
1. Face Shape Fiesta
- Oval: Lucky you! With an oval face, you’ve got the green light to experiment with most beard and mustache styles. You can’t go wrong, so go ahead and have some fun with your fuzz.
- Round: To elongate your face and create a more defined appearance, opt for a beard style that’s longer at the chin and shorter on the sides. Mustaches can also work wonders, especially if you rock a style that draws attention to the center of your face.
- Square: Balance out your strong jawline with a beard that’s slightly longer on the chin and shorter at the sides. Mustaches can be a fab choice too—opt for a style that adds some curve, like a handlebar or a horseshoe.
- Rectangular: Soften those sharp angles with a beard that’s fuller on the sides and shorter at the chin. A thick, full mustache can also add some balance to your facial features.
2. Personal Style Swag
Think about the vibe you wanna give off and how your facial hair choice can complement your overall look:
- Rugged and manly: If you’re all about that rough-and-tumble aesthetic, a beard can be your ultimate accessory.
- Sophisticated and suave: A well-groomed mustache, like the pencil or chevron, can add an air of refinement to your style.
- Quirky and unique: Stand out from the crowd with a distinctive mustache, such as the handlebar or walrus.
Before you pick a side in the great facial hair debate, consider the upkeep:
- Beard: Be prepared for regular trims, washing, conditioning, and the occasional application of beard oil or balm to keep your mane tamed.
- Mustache: While mustaches typically require less maintenance than beards, you’ll still need to trim, comb, and possibly use some wax to keep your ‘stache lookin’ sharp.
4. Lifestyle Lowdown
Last, but not least, think about how your facial hair choice fits in with your work and day-to-day life:
- Professional environment: If you work in a conservative setting, a neat professional beard or mustache might be more appropriate. If you work in it or the creative industry feel free to experiment with bolder beard and mustache styles. Research and find out if your company allows mustache or beard.
- Active lifestyle: If you’re always on the go, a low-maintenance mustache or a short, easy-to-manage beard might be your best bet.
Now that you’ve got the scoop on all the factors to consider, it’s time to make your choice and rock your new facial hair with confidence. Beard or mustache—whichever way you go, own it and let your whiskers do the talking!
Still can’t decide between a beard and a mustache? You don’t have to! A beard stache can provide the best of both worlds. That’s right—there’s a whole world of combo styles that’ll let you rock both a beard and a mustache like a boss.
Styles to Consider
If you’ve decided to join Team Beard, it’s time to explore some fabulous beard styles that’ll help you find the perfect match for your face and personality.
1. Stubble: The Low-Maintenance Legend
- Features: A short, evenly trimmed beard that’s just slightly longer than a clean-shaven look.
- Best for: Oval, round, and square face shapes, and those who prefer a low-maintenance grooming routine.
- Vibe: Casual, laid-back, and effortlessly cool.
2. Short Boxed Beard: The Classic Choice
- Features: A neatly trimmed beard that’s kept close to the face, with clean lines around the cheeks and neck.
- Best for: Oval, round, and square face shapes, and those who want a professional yet stylish appearance.
- Vibe: Refined, polished, and timeless.
3. Full Beard: The Bold and Brawny
- Features: A beard that covers the entire lower face, including the cheeks, with a length that can vary from medium to long.
- Best for: Rectangular and oval face shapes, and those who want a more rugged, masculine look.
- Vibe: Strong, confident, and powerful.
4. Garibaldi: The Wild Child
- Features: A full beard with a rounded bottom and a length that typically extends up to 6-8 inches.
- Best for: Those with a strong jawline and a desire for a more natural, untamed appearance.
- Vibe: Adventurous, free-spirited, and fearless.
5. Ducktail: The Modern Maverick
- Features: A full beard that’s kept shorter on the cheeks and tapers down to a longer, pointed shape at the chin.
- Best for: Rectangular and square face shapes, and those who want to create the illusion of a more elongated face.
- Vibe: Sophisticated, contemporary, and stylish.
If you have decided to embrace the mustache life here are some popular mustache styles for you. Find the one that best suits your face and vibe.
1. Chevron: The Classic Companion
- Features: A thick, full mustache that covers the entire upper lip and extends slightly beyond the corners of the mouth.
- Best for: Those with a strong upper lip and a penchant for timeless style.
- Vibe: Classic, masculine, and effortlessly cool.
2. Pencil: The Suave and Sophisticated
- Features: A thin, neatly groomed mustache that sits just above the upper lip, often with a slight space in the center.
- Best for: Those seeking a subtle, refined look that complements a variety of face shapes.
- Vibe: Elegant, polished, and debonair.
3. Handlebar: The Quirky and Playful
- Features: A mustache with long, upwardly curled ends that extend beyond the corners of the mouth, often styled with mustache wax.
- Best for: Those who want to make a statement and aren’t afraid to stand out from the crowd.
- Vibe: Fun, eccentric, and full of personality.
4. Horseshoe: The Bold and Brawny
- Features: A full mustache that extends downward on both sides of the mouth, resembling an upside-down horseshoe.
- Best for: Those with a strong jawline and a desire to rock a more rugged look.
- Vibe: Powerful, tough, and unapologetically bold.
5. Walrus: The Vintage and Distinguished
- Features: A thick, bushy mustache that covers the entire upper lip and often hangs slightly over the corners of the mouth.
- Best for: Those who want to channel a retro, distinguished style and have the patience to grow a full, dense mustache.
- Vibe: Vintage, wise, and full of character.
So, take everything into consideration and choose the best style for you between beard and mustache. If you are a fashionista rock a beard and mustache combo.