We all know how unpleasant unwanted facial hair can be. This is true for both men and women. It’s a popular belief that men like the hair on their faces. However, not all hair is wanted. If you have sparse hair that grows in different unexpected places, such as cheeks or neck, you can’t wait to get rid of it. Daily shaving can be a real hassle for both men and women. That’s why there are several ways to get rid of unwanted facial hair permanently. Let’s take a look at some of them.
Laser Hair Removal
Laser hair removal is one of the modern ways to get rid of the facial hair permanently. It has several important advantages:
- It’s mostly painless.
- There are no risks since the skin isn’t heated up or damaged.
- It’s very effective for any skin type or hair color.
Laser hair removal is effective since it destroys the hair follicle completely. The hair that was destroyed will never grow again. However, it is important to remember that some of our hair (about 10 to 20% depending on the area) is “sleeping.” There are some cells that can get activated and grow hair in the future. Laster hair removal works on the hair in its active growing phase and can’t deal with the “sleeping”: hair. That’s why just one laser session is not enough for most people.
There are no special preparations needed for the laser hair removal. If you are feeling healthy then you can go through the procedure. All you have to do is make sure the length of your hair doesn’t exceed 1 -2 mm. The skin must be clean, dry and have no irritation.
Once the procedure is over, you can go on to leading a normal life. It’s not a surgery, so there is no post -op period. You can get up and go about your business.
Since you will need to come back several times to repeat the procedure, it is important to make sure you are ready for the expenses. Some men might need up to 4 laser hair removal sessions.
If the area where the unwanted hair grows is not too large then a good idea is to use waxing. There are several advantages to this procedure.
- If you wax regularly the hair becomes softer, thinner and eventually disappears.
- Waxing doesn’t irritate the skin and won’t cause itching and rashes.
- You can do waxing on your own at home.
- This method is not very costly.
The main disadvantage of this method is that it’s rather painful. However, the pain lasts only a second and if the area of hair growth is not too large, it is possible to endure the pain without any problems. Another disadvantage is that the hair must be grown long enough for waxing to be effective. It means you will need to go around with a stubble.
Waxing is one of the most popular hair removal procedures. It allows preventing hair growth for a rather long time. After waxing, some people can forget about unwanted hair for four to six weeks. Waxing can be done for any hair type. The hot wax removes the hair together with the follicle which allows the skin to become much smoother than it does after shaving.
It’s important to remember that permanent hair removal by waxing method might take several months or even years. Shaving hair in between waxing sessions will cause it to becoming thick and harsh all over again. So it’s recommended not to use a razor at all and do the waxing instead.
Photoepilation is one of the very effective hair removal methods. The procedure is done using high impulse light. This method is similar to laser hair removal. Intense pulsed light is offering less precision but more versatility than the laser because of a greater amount of light it can emit. More often than not Photoepilation is much more effective than laser hair removal. The main advantage of this method is that it can suit absolutely any skin type and color. The main disadvantage is that it can cause some skin irritation.
Here are some other advantages of Photoepilation:
- Photoepilation can be done on any part of the body, including the face
- The effect lasts about 5 months. If the procedure is repeated on a regular basis, it leads to permanent hair removal
- The hair follicles can be removed at any depth
- The method is painless. People with sensitive skin might feel some discomfort
- Photoepilation doesn’t damage the skin. Filters prevent skin burns
- The procedure is very fast. It doesn’t take more than 20 minutes, so it can be done at any time. Even at a lunch break.
And some disadvantages:
- The effect might not be very impressive if a person has very light or graying hair (i.e. if there is not too much melanin in the hair or if it’s fully absent).
- Due to the “sleeping” hair factor, just one session might not be enough.
- Dark skinned people must be very careful when doing Photoepilation.
- There are risks of equipment malfunction which can lead to burns and skin discoloration.
- Sometimes the procedure can result in skin flaking.
Home Remedies for Unwanted Hair Removal
There are also some home remedies that can be used to fight unwanted hair growth. They claim to remove hair but in fact what they do is bleach it to make it almost invisible. Here is a hair mask you can try to make your facial hair less noticeable without removing it.
- Sugar, water and lemon mix. 2 tablespoons of sugar mixed with 2 teaspoons of lemon and 10 tablespoons of water. The solution should be applied to the face for 10 – 15 minutes and then washed off with lukewarm water.
Here is a natural mask that can work in the same way as waxing does:
- Egg mask. Mix together 1 teaspoon of corn flour, 1 egg and 2 teaspoons of sugar. Apply the mask to the face and leave it for 25 – 30 minutes. Peel the mask off and it should take the hair with it.
Permanent facial hair removal is possible. However, none of the methods are perfect. Each man should choose the right option for himself.