Keeping your beard clean is one of the top priorities of any bearded man. Some use regular shampoos while others opt for special beard soaps. Beard hair is often not the same as the hair on our heads. That’s why it needs a completely different approach to maintenance. In order to keep your beard looking clean and healthy, it’s important to buy the right products.
Beard Soap for a Cleaner Look
What are beard soaps made of? All beard soaps are divided into two categories. Natural and not natural soaps.
100% Natural Soaps usually have the following ingredients:
- Essential oils – for moisturizing.
- Carrier oils – to improve the work of essential oils.
- Coconut oils – to improve lather.
- Beeswax – to keep the soap together.
Non-natural soaps may contain the above ingredients as well but in much smaller quantities. Mostly these oils feature synthetic ingredients, which may dry out the skin. The biggest advantage of unnatural soaps is their price. Such products usually cost twice as less as their organic counterparts.
Harmful Ingredients in Regular Soaps
Some men don’t bother purchasing a beard soap, thinking that a regular hand soap can do the job just as well. Unfortunately, some hand soaps can contain harmful ingredients, which can damage the hair and cause beard flakes.
- Sodium Laureth Sulfate – causes skin irritation and allergic reactions.
- Parabens – preservatives that can disrupt the hormonal function in the body.
- Ureas – release chemical formaldehyde.
If you are buying 100% natural hand soap, you can sometimes use it on your hair. However regular soaps don’t have conditioning agents while beard soaps often do. Hand soaps can create buildup in your beard and have a high pH, which can irritate the sensitive skin under your beard.
Beard Soap vs. Beard Shampoo
If you are wondering about the difference between beard soap and beard shampoo, it’s simple. There isn’t any. Beard soap serves the same purpose as beard shampoo: cleaning and moisturizing your beard and the skin under it.
Beard soap can be a preferred choice for travelers since its compact and solid. You won’t have to worry about the shampoo spilling out in your travel bag. Other than that, these two products are the same.
The Best Beard Soap: Editor’s Pick
We presented our top beard soap choices to our editor, who has years of experience with different beard care products. He picked the hottest one on the list.
Rocky Mountain Barber Company Soap Bar
This soap bar combines quality and good price while offering an impressive versatility. You can use this bar on any part of your body and it does a great job everyone, including the hair on your head and, of course, your beard.
Beardstyle Product Rating: 9.8/10
[letsreviewaffiliate url=”https://amzn.to/2HHtsG4″ text=”See Price Here” size=”big” rel=”nofollow” target=”samewindow” accent=”#eeee22″ textalign=”center” border=”on”]
Extensive Reviews: Top 5 Beard Soaps on The Market Today
Our team chose the most extensive approach to searching for the best beard soaps on the market today. We spend weeks reviewing the items and came up with 5 top choices. Whether you are just growing a beard or looking for new ways to care for it, these options can help you take pride in your facial hair.
Beard care shouldn’t be a struggle. The right products can make is simple and enjoyable.Let’s take a closer look at our top picks. Each one of them is a good choice for any bearded man.
1. Rocky Mountain Barber Company Soap Bar
This moderately priced set of two soaps is great for men, who don’t like buying a variety of care products. This soap is 5-in-1. Meaning, you can use it for your beard, mustache, hair, face, hands, and body. The product is made out of natural ingredients and has an appealing mix of scents. The soap lathers well and doesn’t live a residue.
[letsreviewunique title=”Rocky Mountain Barber Company Soap Bar” score_subtitle=”excellent” conclusion_title=”Opinion” affiliate_title=”buy now” pros_title=”Pros” pros=”100% natural, Versatile ,Great for traveling ,Nice scent” cons_title=”Cons” cons=” Doesn’t last long ,May not be suitable for dry head hair ” affiliate=”see price,https://amzn.to/2HHtsG4″ accent=”#eeee22″ final_score=”98″ format=”2″ skin=”1″ animation=”1″ design=”3″ main_image=”6019″] We liked how versatile and gentle this product is. Besides smelling great, it moisturized the beard hair and kept the skin flake free. The price is reasonable. This soap can be a wonderful option for travelers.[/letsreviewunique]
2. Maple Hill Naturals: Honest for Men Original Scent Beard Soap
This soap has a very nice scent, which is a mix of lavender and sweet citrus. The bar is made of 100 % natural ingredients. It’s easy to use since it lathers quickly. The soap is gentle so it doesn’t dry out your hair or skin. The natural ingredients don’t wash out the skin’s natural oils while keeping it clean and moisturized.
[letsreviewunique title=”Maple Hill Naturals: Honest for Men Original Scent Beard Soap” score_subtitle=”awesome” conclusion_title=”Opinion” affiliate_title=”buy now” pros_title=”Pros: ” pros=” 100% natural ,Moisturizing properties,Suitable for fine hair and sensitive skin,Good for everyday use” cons_title=”Cons: ” cons=” Gets used up quickly ,Scent is very strong (may not be suitable for some men)” affiliate=”see price,https://amzn.to/2CGZmyS” accent=”#eeee22″ final_score=”95″ format=”2″ skin=”1″ animation=”1″ design=”3″ main_image=”6018″] We liked the scent of this particular soap even though it may seem too strong to some men. It does a great job cleaning the beard and keeping the flakes away. The soap bar gets used up quickly. [/letsreviewunique]
3. Honest Amish Natural Patchouli and Bark Soap Bar
This mild soap made in the USA by a respected manufacturer is great for all body parts including the beard. The scent of essential oils is natural and appealing. It provides a slight scrubbing action to get rid of the dead skin flakes. The soap lathers great but leaves a slightly oily residue. It’s suitable for all beard and skin types.
[letsreviewunique title=”Honest Amish Natural Patchouli and Bark Soap Bar” score_subtitle=”amazing” conclusion_title=”Opinion” affiliate_title=”buy now” pros_title=”Pros” pros=” Moisturizing properties ,Nice scent ,100% natural ,Easy lather” cons_title=”Cons” cons=” Not suitable for oily hair ,The scent is very light” affiliate=”see price, https://amzn.to/2CNSUqu” accent=”#eeee22″ final_score=”90″ format=”2″ skin=”1″ animation=”1″ design=”3″ main_image=”6165″] We liked the soap’s slight scent and versatility. It’s a good choice for men with dry hair and dry skin. However, it may not be a good choice for oily skin. The soap comes with a nice price tag. We would recommend it to all men with dry or normal skin. [/letsreviewunique]
4. Professor Fuzzworthy’s Beard Shampoo with All Natural Oils
This 100% natural shampoo bar is easy to use. It offers moisturizing and conditioning hair properties. Besides keeping your beard clean, it gives it some volume. You can use this shampoo as hair and body soap. It keeps the skin healthy and soft. The shampoo comes in a nice box so it can become a great gift.
[letsreviewunique title=”Professor Fuzzworthy’s Beard Shampoo with All Natural Oils” score_subtitle=”amazing” conclusion_title=”Opinion” affiliate_title=”buy now” pros_title=”Pros” pros=” All natural ,Lathers well ,Versatile ,Moderate price tag” cons_title=”Cons” cons=” The scent doesn’t last long ,Doesn’t soften coarse beards” affiliate=”see price,https://amzn.to/2mdNePI” accent=”#eeee22″ final_score=”90″ format=”2″ skin=”1″ animation=”1″ design=”3″ main_image=”5809″]We appreciated the masculine woody smell of this versatile soap. We also liked the cube form of the shampoo, which is great for washing the beard. It lathers well too. [/letsreviewunique]
5. Grandpa’s Pine Tar Soap
This soap can be used for all body parts, including the face and the beard. It works well keeping your hair clean. It has drying properties so men with sensitive skin may want to avoid it. It’s the best out of the cheap alternatives to 100% natural beard soaps on the market today. If your hair and skin aren’t sensitive, this soap is a good buy.
[letsreviewunique title=”Grandpa’s Pine Tar Soap” score_subtitle=”Best” conclusion_title=”Opinion” affiliate_title=”buy now” pros_title=”Pros” pros=”Moderate price ,Easy to use,Good for oily skin” cons_title=”Cons” cons=” Non-natural ingredients ,May not be suitable for dry skin.” affiliate=”see price,https://amzn.to/2CYb7VG” accent=”#eeee22″ final_score=”85″ format=”2″ skin=”1″ animation=”1″ design=”3″ main_image=”6163″] We liked the way this soap worked on oily skin. It prevented flakes and kept the hair clean. The pine smell is ok. It’s a good soap for people with various types of dermatitis. [/letsreviewunique]
Drag & Drop Product to Compare & Contrast Your Preferred Beard Soap
Beard soaps are not very popular nowadays. They have been upstaged by shampoos. But some men still enjoy the convenience of these products. We found the most popular beard soaps on the market today and reviewed them carefully. The absolute winner is Rocky Mountain Barber Company Soap Bar.
[letsreviewunique title=”the best value product” score_subtitle=”awesome” conclusion_title=”Rocky Mountain Barber Company Soap Bar” affiliate_title=”buy now” pros_title=”Pros” pros=”Beautiful scent,Natural,Flexible” cons_title=”Cons” cons=”Lasts for short time,Makes skin dry” affiliate=”see price,https://amzn.to/2HHtsG4″ accent=”#eeee22″ final_score=”98″ format=”2″ skin=”1″ animation=”1″ design=”4″ main_image=”6332″]It’s natural, nice-smelling, easy-to-use, and well-priced. We would recommend this soap to men with all beard types and lengths.[/letsreviewunique]
Things to Look for When Choosing A Beard Soap
These simple tips can help you find your ideal beard care product.
- Scent. Make sure you like the smell of the soap. Some soaps have very strong odors that last all day long. Providing that the beard starts literally under your knows, you should appreciate the scent.
- Ingredients. Natural soap ingredients are usually suitable for all types of skin, including sensitive and allergy prone one. Synthetic ingredients may dry the skin out and cause irritation. Try to opt for 100% organic soap.
- Price. When you see a cheap soap, it most likely contains synthetic ingredients.Anything lower should be used with care.
- Moisturizing properties. Pay close attention to the moisturizing properties of the soap. This is especially important for men with dry hair and flaky skin. A moisturizing soap should contain essential oils.
- Versatility. You’ll rarely find a soap formulated specifically to deal with your beard. The majority of soaps are all-purpose. You can use them to wash your body and the hair on your head. Such soaps can save you time and money, especially when traveling.
- Lather. A good soap should lather well. You don’t want to struggle with spreading it all over your beard. Since such property is impossible to check before buying a soap, read the reviews. You can also check the ingredients. The best component for a good lather is coconut oil.
Tips for Using A Beard Soap
- If you have a short beard, you can use the beard soap as often as you shampoo the hair on your head.
- Always brush your beard before going to the shower.
- Use the beard soap just before you leave the shower.
- Run the soap up and down your wet beard and then make a lather with your hands
- Try to use beard soap as rarely as possible without hurting the appearance of your beard. Even if your soap is natural and delicate, it still washes out the natural oils produced by the sebaceous glands, which affects the hair quality.
- Allow the beard soap to dry before placing it in the package.
- Don’t leave the beard soap soaking in water. It will substantially decrease its lifespan.
- If you accidentally run out of beard soap, you can use your hair shampoo. But never use a hand soap since it may contain harsh ingredients.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What does beard soap do?
Ans: The main goal of a beard soap is to keep your beard and the skin underneath it clean. It also offers a few moisturizing properties for your skin.
Q: What is the difference between beard soap and shaving soap?
Ans: These two soaps serve two different purposes. Beard soaps clean and moisturizes your beard and skin. Meanwhile, shaving soap lubricates the skin to avoid cuts and irritation during shaving. These two products are not interchangeable.
Q: How often should I wash my beard?
Ans: It depends on how quickly it gets dirty. Don’t wash it more often than once every other day. The longer you can delay the washing, the better your hair will feel. It’s possible to “teach” your hair to stay cleaner longer.
Q: My soap doesn’t lather. What’s wrong with it?
Ans: Most likely, you purchased a cheap soap, which doesn’t contain sufficient lathering ingredients.
Q: Can I replace beard soap with beard shampoo?
Ans: Yes, you can use a beard shampoo instead of beard soap.
High-quality beard soap is hard to find. But once you do, you can be sure your beard will look its best. We worked hard to find the best beard soap options for you. Let us know which one you’ve chosen for yourself.