Beard transplant is for those of you who want that full, thick, luscious beard that has plagued the world with its popularity over the past year. Some of you may be able to grow a beard, however, it might be thin, patchy, and just unappealing.
If this sounds like you, then this is where a beard transplant would come in. We recommend you to read our post on beard transplant facts. Many of you probably have been trying everything from creams to eating different foods that claim to ‘boost beard growth’. The only problem is that the only true way to get a fuller, thicker beard is to get a beard transplant.
What is a Beard Transplant?
This term can be confusing to some of you out there so let me explain what a beard transplant is. It’s a procedure where a professional takes hair from the back or sides of the patients head and actually plants them into the follicles of the thinning or missing hair. This way the facial hair is 100% your own and will continue to grow in just like any other facial hair.
Not only does this procedure implant hair and make your beard fuller, etc., but it is also used to shape your beard to one that you desire. It is recommended that you bring in a picture of a beard that you would particularly like to have for them to compare to in order to give you exactly what you want.
How Long Does it Take?
This procedure is generally pretty quick and virtually painless. Each transplant lasts between 2-5 hours depending on how much needs to be covered. The individual is put under either a local anesthetic or an oral sedative – whichever they decide is best.
From there, the recovery time is quite minimal. For the first five days after the procedure, the patient must keep their face completely dry so their face can heal. The individual will look like they had something done to their face for the first couple of days.
How Much Does it Cost?
This may vary between different establishments and where you’re located. However, in general terms, the price for a beard transplant can run up to $7,000. Factors that also play a role in the price would be how much hair you need for beard transplant and how long the session may last. It may seem rather pricey, but can you really put a price on a lifetime of the facial hair you’ve always wanted?
How effective are they?
Overall, many have found great success with beard transplants. About 2 weeks after the procedure the initial transplanted hair will fall out – this is completely normal. Three months after the procedure, new facial hair will begin to grow in the follicles that the transplants were performed. This procedure is permanent and will last throughout your lifetime.
Beard Transplant – Interesting Facts to Know
Here are some interesting facts to know about beard transplants:
- The hair used for the transplant is taken from the back and sides of the head, which means that these areas won’t be able to grow hair anymore. Also, if the patient is interested in acquiring a hair transplant due to male pattern baldness, they will not be able to transplant hair from these areas again.
- The hair that is taken, roots and all, is planted through micro-incisions made on the face which are made to mimic pores. This method prevents the evidence of scarring since the incisions are made so miniature.
- The hairs that are transplanted will continue to grow for the rest of your lifetime.
- While the median age for transplant recipients is around 30 years old, patients as young as 21 years old are getting these beard transplants done. Some of the oldest men that have received beard transplants were about 80 years old.
- During the first 10 days, the transplanted hairs actually look like stubble until they heal and begin to grow. This is great due to the fact that a lot of men aren’t comfortable with admitting that they’ve had this type of procedure done, so anything that will prevent suspicion is helpful.
- Tiny crust forms around the areas that were transplanted and will last for about a week. This crust is actually the skin scabbing up during the healing process.
- Beard transplant has become increasingly popular with hipsters. It’s been reported that a lot Hipsters, particularly from New York City, are most susceptible to getting beard transplants.
- Men are paying up to $7,000 to pump up their beards.
- On rare occasions, patients who are going bald are allowed to transplant the hairs from their chest instead
- Once the transplanted hair takes root, the hair falls out. Since the roots are now permanent, the hair is able to grow back within a few months. At this point, the beard will finally be able to withstand regular shaving.
Bearded men are on the rise and don’t look to be slowing down anytime soon! By having a beard transplant performed on you, you will have the beard you’ve always wanted!