When it comes to razors, everyone knows that German products usually feature the highest quality. Merkur safety razors are among the most popular shaving tools on the market today. They are famous for their high-quality steel and close shaves.
But what if you had to choose the best of the best? Tough choice, isn’t it? We took on the challenge and examined the leading Merkur safety razors available on the market today. Our team cut the list down to 5 Merkur Safety Razor models and our editor made his best pick. Read on!
A Brief History
Merkur Solingen Company is one of the leading safety razor and accessories providers in the world. The company was founded in Germany in 1906. It’s a subsidiary of DOVO Solingen Steelware.
Merkur makes a wide variety of steel accessories from razors to scissors. The company employs only about a hundred people but the export rate is very high.
The key advantages of Merkur safety razors are their high-quality and affordability.
Best Merkur Safety Razor on The Market: Editor’s Pick
We tried hard checking out a variety of Merkur Safety Razors available in the market. After searching and testing, we’ve come up with an absolute winner:
Merkur Traditional Double Edge Safety Razor 47C
This razor offers an easy grip and a close shave. It’s fairly priced and made of high-quality materials. This razor gives comfortable shave and feels good in the hands.
Beardstyle Product Rating: 9.8/10
Full Reviews: Top 5 Merkur Safety Razors to Buy in 2018
Our editors have researched in-depth to come up with a list of 5 best Merkur safety razors based on features, user reviews, shaving experience and price.
1. Merkur Traditional Double Edge Safety Razor 47C
This traditional 3-piece Merkur safety razor comes with an appealing price tag and a number of useful features. The razor has a long handle, which is rather heavy. This is one of the best Merkur razors for beginners since it’s not aggressive but delivers a close shave nevertheless. The razor is made of high-quality chrome-plated stainless steel.
2. Merkur Classic 2-Piece Double Edge Safety Razor 34C
This is a short handle model, which has been available for many years. The heavy head allows for a quick and precise shave while helping you control the pressure. The razor is made of chrome finished stainless steel. The razor is compatible with standard double-edged blades. One blade is included.
3. Merkur Black Handled Double Edge Safety Razor 20C
The 20C model is a three piece razor with an elegant black handle. It’s one of the lighter Merkur razors and can become a good choice for experienced and amateur users. The good head to handle balance makes shaving easy. The handle is about 3’’, which makes it a short-handle model. However, this model comes with a long handle design as well.
4. Merkur Slant Bar Double Edge Safety Razor 37C
This Merkur safety razor comes with a short handle and an elegant slant-bar head. The handle is heavy and easy to use. The razor is compatible with standard double-edged blades. The slant bar design makes the razor more aggressive than other models. Accordingly, it’s suitable for experienced safety razor users.
5. Merkur Classic 2-Piece Double Edge Saftey Razor 38C
This heavy two-piece razor with a long handle is a wonderful choice for both amateurs and professionals. It provides an easy grip. The razor is compatible with all the standard double-edged blades. One blade comes in the package. This particular Merkur safety razor model has different handle options.
Drag & Drop Product to Compare & Contrast Your Preferred Product
We’ve reviewed a variety of Merkur models and came up with 5 best options. All of them are very impressive. But since we had to find the best of the best, we chose Merkur Traditional Double Edge Safety Razor 47C.
Things to Look for When Choosing a Merkur Safety Razor
At the first glance, all Merkur safety razors look alike. The only difference in the naked eye is that Merkur long handled safety razors is bigger than their short-handled counterparts. However, there are few other important matters to consider.
- Two or three piece razor. If you want a butterfly head, which easily opens for blade replacement, you need a two-piece razor. If you want a more complicated but a more reliable option, consider a 3-piece razor.
- Price tag. The prices for Merkur safety razors vary greatly. They depend on a majority of factors, the major one of which is design. If you are a beginner, you can easily settle for a cheaper option.
- Usually, heavy razors are easier to wield for the beginners. However, the weight may affect your ability to hold a razor for a long time. Don’t try extra heavy razors until you’ve had some experience with these tools.
- Handle style. You’ll notice that these razors have different handle styles. The affects how comfortable holding the handle is. If you are a fan of shaving in the shower, consider a handle, which won’t slip out of your hands.
- Model. Each model of the Merkur razor has its pros and cons. Pay attention to the number before letter “c” (i.e. 47C, 34C, etc.). It can help you make further research.
- Accessories. Consider buying the right accessories to make shaving with a Merkur razor simpler.
For example, Merkur Empty Stand for Safety Razor can keep your razor in its best shape for years to come. It can be used house a brush too.
Beardstyle Product Rating: 9.5/10
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Are Merkur Safety Razors made in Germany?
A: Yes, all Merkur razors are made in Germany and then imported to other countries.
Q: Are Merkur long-handled razors better than short handled razors?
A: Their quality is the same. The handle type depends on the user’s preference. This can be evaluated by the trial and error method.
Q: The razors aren’t expensive. Does it mean they are low in quality?
A: All Merkur safety razors are made of stainless steel with different plating. Merkur is a respectable Germany company, which prides itself on manufacturing low-cost yet high-quality products.
Q: What Aftershaves Do You Recommend?
A: You can read our post: Best Aftershaves in the market right now.
Q: Do I need to buy special blades for Merkur razors?
A: No, all Merkur safety razors are compatible with standard double-edged blades.
We’ve spent many long hours checking out the best Merkur safety razors on the market. We truly hope we helped you get a good idea of which one to buy. Please let us know which Merkur razor you appreciate the most.