A straight razor is one of the oldest versions of razors. These razors work great if they are maintained well. A straight razor might get dull easily that’s why it needs to be honed before every shave. A straight razor can be sharpened in two ways mainly: honing and stropping. These two procedures are the most popular and effective ways while sharpening a straight razor. Let’s know how to do these with great excellence.
How to Add Sharpness to a Straight Razor
A straight razor is a razor that has a blade that can be folded into the handle. The blade is open and there is nothing to protect the skin from getting cut. But, it’s popular because it allows us to get a closer and cleaner look. Shaving is a sensitive thing as it deals with the facial skin. Sharpness is a big deal in this regard. That’s why knowing how to sharpen a straight razor is important.
Honing: 4 Steps
Honing refers to the act of sharpening a straight razor using a whetstone. The process is as follows.
- Wash the surface of the whetstone to make it completely clean.
- Then open the straight razor and slide it along the whetstone. make sure you are not applying much pressure on the blades. You can use two hands if that feels convenient to you. But, don’t press the blades down using the fingers.
- Continue the process of sliding the blades gently. It may take five to ten minutes to sharpen the razor depending on the dullness.
- If you think the sharpening is over, put the razor into a test. Try to cut a long strand of hair by the razor. If it cuts smoothly, the razor is ready.
Stropping: 4 Steps
Stripping refers to the act of sharpening a straight razor using a leather or linen. Know how to strop a straight razor from the below steps.
- Get your strop leather and hang it from a fixed point, hook it carefully. Then hold it tightly to get a perfectly sharpened edge.
- Hold the straight razor and start from the front with the spine leading. Put the blade nice and flat. Don’t touch the sharp edge, it will cause severe injury.
- Use just enough pressure with the weight of the razor and a little bit weight on your hand. Slowly with some finesse go over to one end to another. Run it forward without lifting the razor off. Stop at the end flip the razor and bring it back to the starting point. This is called one round trip.
- Before you shave you can continue the process for 25-25 round trips. That will provide you with a perfect cutting edge.
One can easily get a perfect fit straight razor that can be used to have a closer and cleaner shave. Sharpen your straight razor well to get a sexy clean-shaved look. Most importantly, be careful while using a straight razor. There is no protection to save the skin from getting cut, that’s why a straight razor is prone to injury.