While a razor may seem like solely a man’s tool, women use razors much more than men. Not because they shave more often but because they have larger areas to cover. The best razors for women are hard to single out since there are so many of them on the market.
Women spend more time choosing the ideal razor than men do. That’s why we decided to give them a helping hand. We hope these top reviews can make your life a little easier.
Types Of Razors
Women face the same razor types as men do. Razor preferences differ. Some women can’t look at safety razors without terror. Others believe that shavers don’t do a good enough job. Let’s take a look at four types to choose from.
These razors have a high learning curve, but they provide one of the closest shaves possible. They come with a guard to protect the blade from cutting the skin. However, the guard works only if you know all the tips and tricks for using such a razor.
These models are very long-lasting. All you need to do is replace the blades, which are environmentally friendly and much cheaper than replacement cartridges.
These razors are among the most popular items for women. There is a big variety of cartridges with a different number of blades. Modern cartridge razors have a lubrication strip, which makes shaving safer and the results smoother. The heads of such razors are usually rounded and flexible, allowing you to reach the tough spots. The learning curve of these models is very low. Meanwhile, the replacement cartridges are usually expensive.
Disposable razors are not as flexible as cartridge razors, but they are just as easy to use. Their benefits include a lower cost and a fairly close shave. They are very convenient for travel. However, they are not environmentally friendly. Many of them don’t last for more than one or two shaves.
Electrical shavers are great for getting a close shave on the legs. But many don’t do a good job on harder to reach areas. They usually require a bigger initial investment. However, in the long run, they are cheaper since they don’t require any replacement accessories. Such razors are also good for travel. They provide a quick and virtually painless shave.
Rarely, women prefer using a straight razor, which also has some benefits but comes with a very high learning curve.
How Women’s Skin Differs from Men’s
Women’s and men’s skin have many differences. Usually, a woman’s skin is thinner and more prone to damages than men’s. Women’s skin also ages faster since it has less collagen and elastin.
The key difference between women’s and men’s skin is hair growth. Women have less hair growth but as the tradition dictates, they shave much more of it. Women usually get rid of the hair on their legs, face, arms, armpits, and bikini area. Since the skin is usually more sensitive, women have to take a more diligent approach to choose the right shaving accessories.
Best Women’s Razor to Buy in 2019: Editor’s Choice
We’ve chosen the top women razors for your convenience. Our editor confirmed our pick. Let’s take a look.
Gillette Venus Women’s Sensitive 3 Blades
After reviewing a rather big variety of women’s razors and shavers, we came up with a choice to satisfy all the ladies out there. Gillette Venus Women’s Sensitive. These razors are disposable, provide a close shave, and make sensitive skin feel nice and smooth. It’s a great choice for travel and at-home use.
Beardstyle Product Rating: 9.8/10
In-Depth Reviews of 5 Best Razors for Women
1. Gillette Venus Women’s Sensitive 3 Blades
These disposable razors are great for women on the go. They feature three blades, which are suitable for sensitive skin. The razors offer a close shave for all the areas, including the bikini. The lubricating strip is well-designed and makes the experience enjoyable. The long handle offers a good grip.
2. BIC Soleil Twilight Disposable Razor
This razor is a great choice for women, who enjoy the flexibility and hygiene of disposable razors. It features three blades, which provide a close shave. The lubricating strips with lanolin and vitamin E help avoid nicks and cuts while moisturizing the sensitive skin. Each box contains four razors.
3. Schick Intuition Renewing Moisture Razor Blade Refills for Women
This razor offers a unique approach to shaving. It features 6 blades, four of which shave in one direction and two shave in another. This provides high-quality results even in the toughest spots. The lubricating strip in the middle offers a smoother shave without cuts. The handle is easy to grip. Six refill blades come in the box.
4. Panasonic ES2207P Ladies Electric Shaver
This shaver is great for women, who don’t enjoy safety razors. It’s cordless. The shaver provides smooth results and can be used both in and out of the shower. The high-quality blades make the product suitable for the sensitive skin. The floating head system allows the shaver to achieve impressive results. The design is great as well.
5. Philips SatinShave Essential Women’s Electric Shaver for Legs
This shaver is designed to keep your legs nice and smooth. It features a hypoallergenic foil head to prevent razor burn. This shaver works both in and out of the shower. It can be operated without a cord. The battery is long-lasting so it’s a wonderful choice for travel. The ergonomic handle is great for quick shaving.
Drag & Drop Product to Compare & Contrast Your Preferred Product.
Regardless of your shaving preferences, we believe that each woman can benefit from having Gillette Venus Women’s Sensitive disposable razors in her beauty arsenal.
Women’s Razor Vs Men’s Razor
Many women don’t realize that there is a difference between men’s and women’s razors. The only obvious reason is the color. However, women have different needs when it comes to shaving. That’s why:
- Women’s razors are angled differently since they don’t need to deal with thick and rough hair.
- Women’s razors have a rounded shape since they face more body curves than men’s razors
- Women need to shave more areas than men do. That’s why their razors should be sturdier and longer lasting. However, manufacturers often overlook this matter.
Things to Consider When Choosing The Best Razors for Women
- Ask yourself which razor type is suitable for your shaving needs and lifestyle.
- The price of replaceable parts is very important. More often than not, a cartridge razor costs less than replacement cartridges.
- Pay special attention to the handle. It should be long enough for your needs and provide an excellent grip.
- If you are choosing a shaver, read about the longevity of the batteries.
- If you have sensitive skin, consider shavers or cartridge razors with a lubricating strip.
- If you are often on the go, buy disposable razors. They are usually the best choice for travels.
- If you are planning to use the razor in the bikini area, you need one with a flexible head.
- Take a look at the branded razors. More often than not, they feature a higher quality than no-name models.
- Look at the number of blades on the cartridge razors. The more blades they feature the closer shave you’ll get.
- Today some men’s razors look close to women’s razors. They are different. Make sure the label says “for women”.
Tips for Using The Best Razors for Women
- Always make sure your skin is well lubricated before shaving.
- Don’t use the same razor (blades) you use for your legs on your face. It may cause skin irritation and infection.
- Stretch the skin as you shave. Taut skin is easier to shave. Wrinkles can result in nicks and cuts.
- Don’t hurry when you shave. Short and slow strokes produce better results than hurried long strokes.
- Apply some natural oil to your legs before the shaving cream. It can soften your skin and produce better shaving results.
- Change razors/blades as frequently as you can. This can help you avoid razor burn, infection, and irritation.
- Exfoliate your skin before shaving. It will get rid of the dead skin cells layer and allow you to get a closer shave.
- Shave with the grain first and then against it.
- Always apply a softening moisturizer after shaving to prevent irritation. You can even use your partner’s aftershave.
- Don’t buy cheap razors. They usually have low quality.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Can women use men’s razors?
A: Men’s razors have a different design and can lead to razor burn. The only place you can use a man’s razor on is your legs.
Q: How can I prevent ingrown hairs?
A: The simple way to reduce ingrown hairs is to exfoliate your skin before shaving.
Q: What is the best razor type for shaving the bikini area?
A: Cartridge razors are the most suitable for shaving this area. However, you have to invest in high-quality models.
Q: What can I do to shave less often?
A: Using a high-quality razor and exfoliating your skin before each shave allows you to shave less often. If you have quick hair growth patterns, you may want to consider waxing.
Q: How often should I change razor blades?
A: It depends on your shaving habits. Usually, you have to change the blades every 6 to 8 shaves.
Choosing the best razor for women is harder than we thought. We spent many weeks reading the reviews, testing, and evaluating the results. We hope our work can help you make the best decision for yourself. Let us know what you’ve chosen.