Facial creams are for girls, right? Looking for the best face cream for men only may seem like a useless endeavor. Meanwhile, there are many men only products on the market today. Men experience just as many problems with their skin as women do. Dryness, itchiness, and flakiness are just a few of them.
Using a moisturizer can solve a variety of problems while making you feel fresh and comfortable. We dove deep into the sea of products to find the best facial cream for men only to help you take advantage of high-quality moisturizers.
Why Do Men Need A Moisturizer in The First Place?
Men’s skin gets dry and irritated. It also ages faster if not nourished properly. A moisturizer can give your skin enough hydration to stay young and fresh for years to come. Men with dry skin often face irritation, flaking, and other unpleasant symptoms. A high-quality moisturizer can take care of all these problems.
Men rarely think of taking care of their skin and often feel it’s their duty to suffer through skin problems. This is not true. Any man can take advantage of specially-formulated facial lotions and enjoy their skin every day. By the way, women like to touch men’s fresh, soft, and nourished skin much more than flaky and acne-filled faces.
When Should Men Use A Moisturizer?
Most men believe that they don’t need a moisturizer at all. Some start thinking about it when flaking and irritation appear. However, it’s important to start using a moisturizer before you experience any problems. You should use a moisturizer in the morning right after washing your face. Don’t wait for it to dry. Damp skin absorbs the moisturizer better.
Try to use the moisturizer before going to sleep as well. Wash your face with a cleanser and apply the moisturizer. If you start using the moisturizer on a regular basis after you turn 18, you can avoid many skin problems and look younger longer.
How Skin Differs: Men Vs. Women
Men and women’s skin doesn’t just look different. It has many core differences, which make it necessary to choose different moisturizing and beauty care products.
- The first obvious difference is the hair growth. Facial hair makes it necessary to shave the skin on a regular basis or care for it in a way that it doesn’t become irritated under the hair. The main male hormone testosterone makes men’s skin thicker. In fact, it’s about 25% thicker than women’s. Such thickness leads to a rougher texture, which often makes it harder for the lotion to penetrate the lower layers of the skin.
- The production of sebum is also different. Men experience better sebum production, which often leads to oiler skin and more acne. This means that male skin requires a more careful approach to moisturizing than women’s.
- Men’s skin also has more collagen than women. That’s why it seems to stay younger longer. Meanwhile, their skin is more sensitive to the UV rays. That’s why they need to be more diligent about using sunscreen. Otherwise, their skin starts aging faster.
Ingredients to Look for in A Facial Moisturizer
The highest quality moisturizers for men usually contain many natural ingredients.
- Essential oils, such as lavender and jojoba can serve as antioxidants.
- Vitamin E is necessary for nourishing and keeping the skin looking younger.
- Sun protection factor is important for men in the summer.
- Hyaluronic acid is great for men, who want their skin to stay young longer.
- Dimethicone has great water-retention properties and improves hydration.
It’s better to avoid unnatural fragrances since they can cause allergies.
Things to Avoid in A Moisturizer
You should try to avoid as many unnatural ingredients as possible. However, you should especially look out for:
- Formaldehyde – toxic preservative
- Lanolin – may clog pores
- Parabens – can dry out the skin
- Propylene glycol – can cause dermatitis
- Toluene – may have a toxic effect.
- Triethanolamine – may cause severe allergic reactions
The Best Face Moisturizer for Men: Editor’s Picks
After reviewing a huge variety of facial moisturizers for men only, our editor came up with three best picks.
High-End: CLINIQUE by Clinique Skin Supplies For Men: Maximum Hydrator
This cream is a great find for guys with dry skin, who want a non-greasy and fragrance-free product. Even though it’s not 100% natural, it contains many natural ingredients.
Beardstyle Product Rating: 9.5 /10
All-Natural: Christina Moss Naturals Facial Moisturizer
This fairly priced yet 100% natural facial cream is a great choice for men, who want to keep their skin looking fresh all day long. It nourishes the skin and keeps it moisturized.
Beardstyle Product Rating: 9.5/10
Best Buy: Lather & Wood Shaving Co. Face Moisturizer for Men
This product is the best facial lotion for men only. It’s fragrance-free and contains many natural ingredients and hyaluronic acid. It’s not greasy and fairly priced.
Beardstyle Product Rating: 9.8 /10
Best Facial Moisturizers to Buy in 2019: Full Reviews
1. Lather & Wood Shaving Co. Face Moisturizer for Men
This is a high-quality facial lotion for men only, which doesn’t just moisturize your skin, it prevents wrinkles. This cream has a great ingredient list, which is most natural. It contains hyaluronic acid, which is proven to help the skin maintain its elasticity. The product has a smooth texture and a convenient dispenser.
2. CLINIQUE by Clinique Skin Supplies For Men: Maximum Hydrator
This cream is designed for all skin types, including sensitive. It’s virtually fragrance-free, which is great for men, who use colognes. You only need to apply this lotion once a day for the skin to feel moisturized all day long. The texture is creamy and non-greasy. It hydrates the skin well and reduces flaking.
3. Christina Moss Naturals Facial Moisturizer
This high-quality yet low priced moisturizer is made with 100 % natural ingredients. This is a great find for men, who have sensitive skin. Essential oils hydrate and nourish the skin without making it feel greasy. It goes on well and has great absorption properties. The bottle comes with a convenient dispenser.
4. Dove Men +Care Cream, Hydrate Plus Ultra Hydrating
This facial cream has a light texture and doesn’t feel greasy when you put it on. You only need a small amount for it to work. In order to keep the skin well hydrated, you need to use the cream on a regular basis. This is a low-budget option for men, who enjoy fresh scents and fast absorption.
5. BOOTS No7 Men Protect&Perfect Intense Moisturizer SPF15
This product is a good choice for men with overly dry skin, who care about UV protection. If you use this moisturizer, you can avoid applying greasy sunscreen to your face. The cream has anti-aging qualities as well. This is the best face lotion made for men only to keep the skin from premature aging.
6. NIVEA Men Maximum Hydration 3 in 1 Nourishing Lotion
This all-purpose lotion is great for men with dry skin and low budget. You can use it on your face, hands, and body. It comes in a large bottle with a convenient dispenser. It hydrates the skin well and has a slight fragrance. It’s not suitable for men with oily and sensitive skin.
7. Jack Black Double-Duty Face Moisturizer SPF 20
This facial cream is packed with vitamins and essential oils. It also has an SPF of 20, which is a big advantage for men, who live in the sunny regions. The lotion is suitable for men with dry and sensitive skin. You only need a small amount of the moisturizer for it to work all day long.
8. Lubriderm Men’s 3-In-1 Fragrance-Free Lotion
This is a medium-quality all-in-one cream, which is suitable for your face and body. Some men can also enjoy using it as an aftershave lotion. It contains a variety of vitamins and minerals, including aloe, which heals damaged skin. The lotion is easy to apply, has a fresh scent, and comes in a large bottle with a pump.
9. Lab Series Daily Moisture Defense Lotion SPF 15
This product is designed for men, who have normal skin and need to maintain it. It also has a sun protection factor, which is an advantage. The texture is non-greasy. The product has a slight scent. You can apply it every day to keep the skin in good shape.
10. Brickell Men’s Daily Essential Face Moisturizer for Men
This is an all-natural product which contains hyaluronic acid. It can help men with all skin types keep their skin nourished and hydrated. The lotion is non-greasy, easy to apply, and has a slight yet appealing scent. Everyday use can keep the skin looking young and healthy.
Drag & Drop Product to Compare & Contrast Your Preferred Product
After doing extensive reviews and learning many new and interesting things about the best facial moisturizers for men only, we believe that Lather & Wood Shaving Co. Face Moisturizer for Men is the best choice.
Choose The Best Facial Lotion According to Skin Type
Different skin types require different care. When you are choosing a facial lotion, it’s important to know your skin type.
- Oily skin – Becomes greasy during the day and is prone to acne
- Dry skin – Feels tight throughout the day and is prone to flaking
Men with dry skin can take advantage of Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream for Dry Skin. It contains strong hydrating agents and no fragrances. It’s also suitable for men with skin problems, such as eczema.
Beardstyle Product Rating: 9.8/10
If you have an oily skin consider this video:
- Sensitive skin – Prone to inflammation and irritation
- Normal/combination skin – Usually feels fine but gets dry in the cheek area
Things to Consider When Choosing The Best Facial Moisturizer
- The right ingredients are key to the product’s efficiency. Make sure the lotion or cream contains more natural ingredients than unknown chemicals. Today, all-natural and eco-friendly products are gaining popularity.
For example, you may want to consider MEET THE BULL DOG Original Moisturizer. It contains a variety of organic ingredients coupled with products that assist with absorption and light texture.
Beardstyle Product Rating: 9.8/10
- Consider the differences between lotion and cream and day and night products, which we described above. Using the night cream during the day and cream instead of lotion can create a reverse effect or make you feel uncomfortable.
- Always pay attention to the texture of the moisturizer. Oily and thick creams may not be suitable for regular use. In fact, you may give up on them before they start working. Most men prefer light-textured lotions.
- Think about the sun protection factor. Using a moisturizer with SPF every day can keep the sun from making your skin look older. Lotions with SPF kill two birds with one stone.
You can take advantage of Neutrogena Men Triple Protect Face Lotion With Sunscreen. This non-greasy lotion for men has an SPF of 20, which is great for everyday trips to work. It also reduces the appearance of fine lines and comes with a reasonable price tag.
Beardstyle Product Rating: 9.8/10
- The packaging of the cream is also important. Even though the pumps are the most convenient, they don’t work for thick creams. Look closely at the bottles. Make sure they are easy for you to use.
- Pay attention to the quantity. Sometimes a product may seem cheap but it’s only because you get few fl.oz, or ml.
- If you want the lotion to have anti-aging properties, look for hyaluronic acid and natural oils on the label.
You may want to try Anti Aging Retinol Moisturizer Cream for Face and Eye Area. This product contains retinol and hyaluronic acid. It improves elastin and collagen production preventing the appearance of new fine lines.
Beardstyle Product Rating: 9.8/10
- Always consider your skin type before choosing the facial lotion or cream. This products usually states the skin type on the label but reading the reviews won’t hurt either.
If you have oily and acne-prone skin, you may want to consider RUGGED & DAPPER – Face Moisturizer for Men. This product is made of organic ingredients. It works as a moisturizer and after-shave lotion. The moisturizer is fragrance-free and suitable for oily skin.
Beardstyle Product Rating: 9.8/10
Day vs Night Cream
Now that you know a lot about moisturizers, you are ready to hear another surprise. There are day and night creams. The former you apply in the morning and the latter before going to sleep.
Day creams have more lightweight ingredients than night creams. They are designed to make your face look fresh without greasiness. Usually, day creams are less oily and have a sun protection factor. They also contain skin lightening and tightening ingredients to make you look your best.
Night creams are designed to nourish the skin. They are usually greasier and heavier. They relieve irritation and make your skin feel fresher in the morning. These creams restore the tired skin while you sleep.
It’s possible to use day cream during the night. However, using a night cream during the day can give you a greasy look and an uncomfortable sensation.
A good night cream for men to consider is Brickell Men’s Revitalizing Anti-Aging Cream For Men. This cream contains a variety of nourishing organic ingredients. It helps skin revitalization during the night and offers anti-aging properties.
Beardstyle Product Rating: 9.8/10
Lotions vs. Creams
If you’d like to dig deeper into the moisturizer subject, let’s explore the differences between lotion and cream. Sometimes these two words are used interchangeably, which is not exactly correct.
- Lotions are usually less greasy than creams because they have a higher percentage of water than oils. They are suitable for sensitive, normal/combination or not overly dry skin. They have better absorption properties.
- Creams contain more oil than lotions. They are thicker and have more moisturizing and nourishing properties. Creams usually come in jars while lotions may come in bottles with pump dispensers. Creams are usually used at night and are suitable for dry and aging skin.
Branded vs. Drugstore Moisturizers
We have come to believe that branded products are higher in quality than their drugstore counterparts. This is not always true. When it comes to lotions and creams, everything depends on the ingredients. If you are good at reading the ingredient list, you can tell a good product from the bad one.
You’ll also find that drugstore products usually contain fewer natural ingredients than branded products. You should spend more time looking for a high-quality drugstore option than for a good branded moisturizer.
When you opt for a branded product, you will pay for the label. Even if the brand is famous, it doesn’t mean it’s good! It’s important to read the label and study the best facial moisturizer for men reviews.
Substitute For Moisturizer
You don’t have to spend a fortune on high-quality branded moisturizes. Many men all over the world are taking advantage of the organic substitutes. Here are some examples:
- Olive oil – rub a few drops of olive oil between your fingers and apply to the damp skin.
- Coconut oil – warm up a bottle of coconut oil in hot water and apply it to your face, lips, neck, and the rest of your body.
- Almond oil – use this oil just like olive oil before going to sleep. It’s a little greasy and great for night absorption and nourishment.
- Egg yolk – mix one egg yolk with 5 drops of olive oil and apply to your skin. It makes a great moisturizing mask.
- Rose water – spraying your face with rose water can make the skin smell and feel fresh oil day (if you like the scent, of course).
Tips for Using Facial Lotions And Creams for Men Only
- Apply the moisturizer 2 times a day after cleansing your skin.
- Use day cream/lotion in the morning and night cream in the evening.
- Apply the moisturizer to a slightly damp face for better absorption.
- Start with a small amount of the lotion and go from there. It’s better to use less than more.
- Apply a little less lotion to the areas, which are more prone to becoming oily (such as nose).
- Don’t apply the face lotion around your eyes. If you need to improve the skin around your eyes, look for special eye creams.
- Dab the lotion on gently. Avoid vigorous rubbing. You won’t help the moisturizer absorb. You’ll just damage your skin.
- Don’t forget to apply the lotion to your neck as well. The skin on your neck is also prone to dryness and age factors.
- If you are looking for anti-aging properties, apply the lotion with upward strokes. The gravity pulls your skin down. Counter it.
- Always wash your hands before applying the moisturizer. Oily and dirty hands will negate the effect of even the best cream.
- If you think the face looks too shiny after the application, wait two minutes. Allow the product to sink in.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Why do you need a different moisturizer for indoor and outdoor use?
A: Outdoor elements affect your skin. Wind makes it dryer. The sun burns it and makes it appear old. If you stay indoors all day, you don’t need such serious protection as when you go outside.
Q: Can men use women’s moisturizers?
A: In most cases, men can use women’s moisturizers. However, women’s products are usually scented. Meanwhile, they have fewer humectants since women’s skin is not as rough as men’s.
Q: Can I use a body lotion on my face?
A: Body lotions usually contain harsher ingredients than facial creams because the skin on the rest of your body is tougher than on the face. However, sometimes, you can take advantage of all-in-one lotions. They are specifically formulated for face and body.
Q: What if my moisturizer doesn’t suit my face?
A: Most likely you’ve chosen the moisturizer for the wrong skin type. Consider switching the lotion for a more suitable option. You may also have individual contraindications to using a particular product. Be careful about allergic reactions to some ingredients.
We hope these honest reviews of the best facial lotions for men only helped you make a choice. We tried hard to educate you about the need for such products use. Let us know if you have any questions.