10 Best Beard Brushes to Buy in 2018: Editor’s Top 3 Picks
Beard brush is an integral part of a man’s beard care arsenal. These tools can help you keep the beard looking decent all day long. They can also be used to distribute beard care products, such as balms and waxes and massage your skin. If you are growing a beard, it’s time to do some research about the beard brushes.
We decided to take the hit for you and did some extensive beard brush research. It turned out that there are hundreds of beard brushes you can buy these days. But not all of them are created equal. In fact, many of them are not even worth considering. After doing some research, we came up with that, Hundred Beard Co Boar Bristle Beard Brush is the best beard brush on the market today. We also added nine other options to give you a chance to choose.
What Is A Beard Brush?
Before we go on to the best beard brush product reviews, you better know what a good beard brush is. It’s a tool to help you care for the skin under the beard, distribute the hair products, and “teach” your hair how to grow in the direction you want it to.
The beard brush helps you apply beard oil to the skin, remove dead skin cells, and avoid irritation. Meanwhile, it assists with styling the beard and keeping coarse hair tidy. An excellent beard brush is usually made of natural materials. Such brushes have wooden handles and boar hair bristles.
Why Use A Beard Brush?
- To help your beard grow in the direction you want it to
- To avoid skin irritation, and
- Get assistance distributing hair grooming products
Beard Brush vs Beard Comb
Many men wonder if they need a brush a comb or both. If you have a beard, which is longer than a stubble, you need both these tools. That’s why they often come in one package.
Beard comb and beard brush serve different purposes. Even though they are sometimes interchangeable, it’s better to let each tool do the job its made for.
The brush is for:
- Distributing beard products (oil and balm)
- Massaging the skin underneath your beard (removing dead skin and promoting hair growth)
- Training your facial hair to grow in the direction you want it to
- Removing dirt and residue from your beard
The comb is for:
- Styling your beard hair and mustache
- Distributing bead wax for styling
- Detangling thick and coarse beards
The comb can also be used for distributing beard oil and training your hair to grow a certain way. However, the brush does a better job.
Materials Used In Beard Brushes
The best beard brush is a 100% natural beard brush. Such brushes have wooden handles and boar hair bristles. However, natural brushes are also expensive. If you are on a tight budget you may want to consider synthetic options.
Less expensive beard brushes come with plastic handles and synthetic hair. They are not as long-lasting and comfortable as natural brushes but they can also do a fair job dealing with your beard.
Top 3 Beard Brush to Buy: Editor’s Pick
Top Pick 1: Hundred Beard Co Boar Bristle Beard Brush
This is the best buy for your money. The brush is suitable for thick and fine hair. It’s 100% natural. The product comes in a gift box. It’s small, easy to use and maintain.
Beardstyle Product Rating: 9.8/10
Top Pick 2: Brush Strokes Firm Military Style Boar Bristle Brush
This beard brush has boar bristles which is an ideal tool to deal with thick hair. It is the perfect beard companion for men. This product is easy to use and handle.
Beardstyle Product Rating: 9.5/10
Top Pick 3. ZilberHaar Pure Boar Bristles Beard Brush
This product is 100% natural which can keep beard tidy and stylish. This brush is long lasting and gently exfoliates skin underneath your beard. It is 100% durable and gives comfort to your beard.
Beardstyle Product Rating: 9.5/10
Extensive Reviews: 10 Best Beard Brushes Available on the Market Today
Here is our list of the best beard brushes available in the market you can buy right now.
1. Hundred Beard Co Boar Bristle Beard Brush
This is a high-quality brush which you can use for any beard type. It does a great job with thick and coarse hair. The brush can be used for skin massage and beard shaping. The product comes in a gift box. It’s 100% natural and has a sleek design. The brush is small enough to fit into your pocket. It comes with a 100% satisfaction guarantee.
2. Brush Strokes Firm Military Style Boar Bristle Brush
This beard brush has a natural wood base and boar bristles. The density of the boar bristle is sufficient to deal with thick beards. It can help distribute balm, oil, and wax over the hair. The bristles are stiff enough to reach the skin without damaging it.
3. ZilberHaar Pure Boar Bristles Beard Brush
This 100% natural (body and bristle) brush is designed to keep the beard tidy and the skin healthy. The boar bristles reach the skin and gently exfoliate, helping the beard grow batter. The brush has a handle, which contributes to the easy and comfortable operation. The brush is small enough to be carried in the pocket.
4. Liberty Premium Grooming Boar Bristle Brush
This brush is designed to deal with beards of all sizes. It’s not too short so it can distribute the balm and other products over the full length of beard hair. The natural boar bristles ensure the quality and longevity of the product. The handle offers an easy grip. The black high-quality wood gives this brush a manly appearance.
5. Rocky Mountain Barber Company Boar Hair Beard Brush
This nicely-looking brush is designed to deal with beard shaping. Meanwhile, it offers exfoliating properties. If your beard is not overly thick, you can use this brush to remove dead skin cells from the skin underneath your beard while distributing beard care products. The brush is made out of plastic (body) and boar bristles.
6. Zeus Boar Bristle Pocket Beard Brush
This 100% natural beard brush is very small. It’s designed to be carried in your pocket. It has thick and very stiff bristle hair, which does a great job distributing the oil and reaching your skin. The bristles are designed to give the skin a good massage to stimulate more hair growth. The brush is made in Germany.
7. The Beardman Beard & Hair Brush
This brush is suitable for all types of beards. The bristles are moderately stiff so they won’t irritate the skin. The bamboo handle is durable and long-lasting. The brush is big enough to feel good in your palm. It comes with a sleek bag so you can buy it as a gift. It offers great beard taming and shaping qualities.
8. Smooth Viking Beard & Mustache Brush and Comb Kit
This high-quality brush and comb set is what a man needs to keep the beard tamed and healthy. The brush is made out of boar bristle and wood. It fits well into the palm of your hand. If you have a short beard, you can use this brush for a massage. Men with long beards can enjoy this product for balm spreading and shaping.
9. Can You Handlebar Beard Oil Brush
This high-end beard brush comes with a heavy price tag and great reviews. It’s very small so it may not be suitable for long beards but it does wonders for shaping and grooming short beards and mustaches.
10. Beard Brush for Men by The Rugged Bros
This brush is well-designed to give you a comfortable grip. Even though the bristles look soft at first, they can deal with coarse and curly hair due to their number. The brush is compact and stylish. It makes a great gift. The handle is made out of wood. The bristles are all-natural boar hair. The price is as high as the quality.
Drag & Drop Product to Compare & Contrast Your Preferred Beard Brush
- Hundred Beard Co Boar Bristle Beard Brush Hundred Beard Co Boar Bristle Beard Brush
- Brush Strokes Firm Military Style Boar Bristle Brush Brush Strokes Firm Military Style Boar Bristle Brush
- ZilberHaar Pure Boar Bristles Beard Brush ZilberHaar Pure Boar Bristles Beard Brush
- Liberty Premium Grooming Boar Bristle Brush Liberty Premium Grooming Boar Bristle Brush
- Rocky Mountain Barber Company Boar Hair Beard Brush Rocky Mountain Barber Company Boar Hair Beard Brush
- Zeus Boar Bristle Pocket Beard Brush Zeus Boar Bristle Pocket Beard Brush
- The Beardman Beard & Hair Brush The Beardman Beard & Hair Brush
- Smooth Viking Beard & Mustache Brush and Comb Kit Smooth Viking Beard & Mustache Brush and Comb Kit
- Can You Handlebar Beard Oil Brush Can You Handlebar Beard Oil Brush
- Beard Brush for Men by The Rugged BrosBeard Brush for Men by The Rugged Bros
After reviewing many different beard brushes we settled for Hundred Beard Co Boar Bristle Beard Brush.
Things to Look for When Choosing A Beard Brush
- The size. Do you want the beard brush to fit into your pocket? Or do you need it for “at home only” use? Smaller brushes are easy to carry while bigger brushes are easier to handle.
- The handle. Some beard brushes come with long handles while others only have a wooden cap on top of the bristles. Which one is more comfortable for you?
- Bristle material. Synthetic bristles may irritate the skin and feel too sharp. It’s better to opt for all-natural boar bristles. They don’t last as long but can keep your beard and skin healthier.
- The price tag. Most high-quality beard brushes cost around $10 – 15. If you see a cheaper brush, it’s most likely made out of synthetic materials.
- Bristle softness. If you have thick and coarse hair, you need stiff bristles. If you have fine hair, you can settle for softer options. Stiff bristles are great for shaping long beards but they may not be suitable to massage the skin and deal with breakable hair.
- Packaging. Many brushes come in gift packages. It’s good if you want to buy a gift. However, if you are looking for a personal brush, gift packaging is useless but can boost the price.
Tips for Using Beard Brushes
- Always brush your beard when you are applying beard products in the morning.
- Use the brush to apply beard balm only when your beard is dry.
- Carry the brush around with you all day. Many beards need touchups.
- Always keep your brush clean. Use a cotton swab to loosen the hair and then pull it out.
- If the brush is made of natural materials, rinse it under the running water.
- In case you use beard oil, cleaning your brush is compulsory.
- Carefully watch the condition of your brush. If too many bristles fall out, it’s time to get a new one.
How to Clean A Beard Brush?
- Dip the brush into soap water
- Use an old toothbrush to clean brush bristles to loosen the dirt and the hair
- Rinse the brush under tap water.
- Leave it to dry
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Do you need a beard brush and a beard comb?
Ans: In most cases, yes. They are used for different purposes. Brushes are better for shaping and distributing beard products while combs are better for styling and detangling your beard.
Q: How many times a day should I use the beard brush?
Ans: All depends on how unruly your beard is. Start with using it once a day in the mornings when you apply beard oil and balm. Carry it around in your pocket and see if the beard needs touchups during the day. In most case using it once a day is sufficient.
Q: Can facial brushes cause breakouts?
Ans: Yes, beard brushes can cause breakouts if used the wrong way. If you choose a brush with overly stiff bristles, they can damage the skin under your beard and leave it open for infections that lead to breakouts. Too much beard products can also cause breakouts. Be careful about choosing the right bristle stiffness and the amount of beard oil.
Now you know all there is to know about beard brushes. Even if you don’t like our picks, you can easily choose your own. Don’t hesitate to comment and ask for beard advice. We’ll be glad to share our experience.