We’ve done the research for you and came up with the best aftershave products available on the market today. Take a look. Perhaps one of them will become your best shaving pal.
Shaving is a tough everyday task for many men out there. Picking the best aftershave is even more complicated. Even if you decide to grow a beard, you’ll still need to shave a part of your face. The beard doesn’t simplify the process, it makes it harder. Human skin is not created to withstand constant scraping with sharp objects. No matter how wonderful and high-tech your razor is, the skin feels irritated and dry after a shave. That’s where the aftershave comes in.
Why Use An Aftershave
Aftershave is a special remedy to moisturize and soothe your skin after shaving. No matter how well you choose your razor and shaving cream, the skin surface still suffers from the cutting and scraping. In many cases, even the most experienced men, tend to cut their skin. The aftershave usually serves as an antiseptic and a moisturizer. The ingredients responsible for killing the bacteria are alcohol and witch hazel.
Many aftershave lotions double up as cologne due to an appealing and long-lasting scent.
What Does An Ideal Aftershave Do?
- Acts as an antiseptic (kills bacteria)
- Provides moisturizing and soothing qualities
- Offers a good scent
A good balance of antibacterial and moisturizing ingredients coupled with a nice scent make up a perfect aftershave.
Types of Aftershave
There are several types of aftershave. Choosing the right one depends on your goals and skin type.
- Lotion: Lotions are good for normal to oily skin types. They usually contain alcohol. Lotions don’t have a greasy texture. They are easy to apply.
- Oil: Oil contains moisturizing properties which make the skin soft and fresh. This type is suitable for dry skin and also offers some healing properties to the skin.
- Tonic: Tonics offer the best antiseptic properties. They are good for all skin types. However, they contain too little moisturizing ingredients. That’s why if you have sensitive skin, you need to use a moisturizing after applying the tonic. Men with sensitive skin should look for tonics with witch hazel rather than alcohol.
- Balm: Balms are great moisturizers and antiseptics. They contain a variety of oils that provide soothing and moisturizing properties. Overusing balms can cause irritation and acne since they may block sweat release. This type is suitable for normal to dry skin.
- Gel: Gels feel cool and smooth on the skin. They are good for normal skin. This type is great for dealing with razor burns. They penetrate the skin quickly so they are great for the hot and humid weather. The fast absorption property may not be suitable for men with dry skin.
The Best Aftershave: Editor’s Top 3 Picks
Our editor took some time to review all the suitable items we found and came up with the top pick.
Top Pick 1: Lather & Wood Shaving Co. Aftershave Balm
This aftershave balm contains many natural ingredients and no alcohol. It’s suitable for all skin types and can soothe sensitive skin. The product has a non-greasy texture and comes with an easy-to-use bottle. The price is a bit high.
Beardstyle Product Rating: 9.8/10
Top Pick 2: Calvin Klein OBSESSION for Men
This is a high-quality moisturizing aftershave balm suitable for all skin types. The long-lasting scent of this product eliminates the need to use a cologne.
Beardstyle Product Rating: 9.5/10
Top Pick 3: The Blades Grim – Aftershave Oil
This oil provides hydrating properties and doesn’t contain alcohol. It’s a strong antiseptic and a great moisturizer. The oil comes in a convenient drip-top bottle and smells very nice.
Beardstyle Product Rating: 9.5/10
Best Aftershave Available on The Market: Detailed Review
While the variety of aftershaves on the market today is impressive, not too many of them do what they should. A diluted sweet-smelling liquid with a touch of alcohol just won’t do the job. You need a smooth, moisturizing, and non-irritating product with an appealing scent. How can you choose the right one?
1. Lather & Wood Shaving Co. Aftershave Balm
This aftershave balm is great for sensitive skin since it contains a variety of moisturizing ingredients and lacks alcohol. It calms the irritated skin allowing it to heal after shaving. The texture is non-greasy so the application is worry-free. The aftershave comes in a small bottle with a pump making it easy to apply.
2. Calvin Klein OBSESSION for Men
This aftershave balm is created specifically for men with sensitive skin, who love a great scent. It doesn’t contain any alcohol. Instead, there is an impressive variety of moisturizing ingredients and vitamins. This is one of a few aftershave balms that can double up as a cologne since the scent is long-lasting. The product soothes the skin right after shaving, prevent dryness and itchiness.
3. The Blades Grim – Aftershave Oil
This oil is specifically formulated to soothe the skin after shaving. It doesn’t contain any alcohol. The ingredients include Aloe Vera juice, which has strong healing properties. You only need a small drop of oil to get the moisturizing effect. The oil acts as an antiseptic. The drop-top bottle makes the aftershave easy to use.
4.Proraso After Shave Lotion
This product is specifically formulated to give a cool and refreshing sensation after shaving. It contains a little alcohol but also moisturizing and soothing ingredients. It may be suitable for men with sensitive skin. The aftershave has an appealing scent that lasts fairly long. It doesn’t contain any parabens. Natural oils provide a smooth sensation without a greasy texture.
5. Aqua Velva Cooling After Shave
This is one of the oldest aftershave products on the market today and its popularity is still going strong. It provides a nice and fresh smell and anti-bacterial as well as moisturizing properties. Only a small amount is required to get the job done. The price tag of this aftershave is very attractive. When applied, this aftershave produces a cooling sensation.
6. Clubman Pinaud After Shave Lotion
If you want to go back in time when barber shops used to do the shaving, you’ll love the smell of this aftershave. It’s truly the cool Sean Connery type of smell appreciated by older men and women. The younger generation may like it for its low price, a long-lasting fragrance, and moisturizing properties. It’s one of the oldest brands on the market today. The formula was created in France and then imported to the USA.
7. Paul Sebastian for Men Aftershave Lotion
This is a high-quality aftershave with a very long-lasting scent. You can use it as a cologne as well. The product does a great job healing the skin and providing an antibacterial effect. However, it contains a lot of alcohol, which makes it unsuitable for men with sensitive skin. The spray bottle is easy to use. Only a small amount of product is required to do the job.
8. Gillette After Shave Gel, Sensitive Skin
This gel aftershave has a soft and soothing texture. The product is formulated specifically for sensitive skin so it has a light fragrance and doesn’t contain any harsh ingredients. The gel smells fresh but not offensive. It’s easy to use thanks to a well-designed bottle. Gillette is one of the most respectable manufacturers in the shaving product industry.
9. Nivea for Men Sensitive Post Shave Balm
This aftershave product is specifically designed to soothe sensitive skin. It doesn’t contain any alcohol. Instead, there are many soothing ingredients, such as Vitamin E and chamomile. The aftershave comes with a nice price tag and a slight fragrance. It’s a great product for men with dry skin.
10. Old Spice Classic Scent After Shave
This aftershave feels and smells fresh. It contains plenty of alcohol and no moisturizing ingredients. So it’s only suitable for men with non-sensitive skin. The smell is strong and long-lasting. It’s a good choice for men, who appreciate the good Old Spice classic products. It comes in a shatterproof plastic bottle.
Drag & Drop Product to Compare & Contrast Your Preferred Aftershave
Long reviews and dozens of answered questions led us to believe that we agree with our editor. Lather & Wood Shaving Co. Aftershave Balm is our top pick.
Things You Should Need to Know about An Aftershave
Applying an aftershave is one of the best ways to keep your skin health and irritation-free. Some men skip using the aftershave and apply moisturizers right after shaving. This may be dangerous since the skin may be damaged and require an antiseptic. Moisturizers may block the pores and cause acne.
The ingredients you should look for in the aftershave are:
- Alcohol or witch hazel (witch hazel is preferable since it doesn’t dry the skin as much)
- Aloe Vera (soothing and healing effect)
- Chamomile (soothing effect)
- Vitamins (nourishing effect)
- Tea tree oil (antiseptic and hydrating effect)
The more natural ingredients the aftershave contains, the more chances you’ll get a high-quality product without the risk of irritation and allergies. Aftershaves are made of natural ingredients are usually more costly than their synthetic counterparts.
After Shave vs. Cologne: What’s The Difference?
Aftershave is designed to serve as an antiseptic and moisturizer while providing a slight scent. Cologne can serve as a slight antiseptic while providing a strong and appealing scent. These two products are not interchangeable. You can use two of them together as long as the scents don’t clash.
A Quick Note on Scent Selection
All aftershave products come with different scents, starting from menthol and ending with branded blends, such as Old Spice. If you are not prone to allergies and irritations, you can take advantage of strong-scented aftershave and save on cologne.
- Always read the reviews about the aftershave you are planning to buy. Some are strong-scented but last only for an hour or so. Light-scented aftershaves often offer a sweet or floral fragrance men may not appreciate.
- Take a look at the ingredients list. If you see any form of menthol, your aftershave will smell minty, no matter what else the manufacturer might state on the package.
If you use cologne, opt for short-lived aftershave scents or fragrance-free products. Otherwise, you may get an unpleasant mix of scents.
Things to Look for When Choosing An Aftershave
- Scent. Some aftershaves have long-lasting scents. Pick the one you can enjoy all day long. Read the reviews to find out about the strength of the fragrance. Choose fragrance-free or slightly scented aftershaves if you are prone to allergies and irritations.
- Alcohol content. If the aftershave contains alcohol, it offers antiseptic properties. However, alcohol creates a drying effect on your skin. Witch hazel can fight bacteria just as well but doesn’t dry the skin out as much.
- Price tag. If the product has a low price tag, it most likely doesn’t contain too many natural ingredients. Low-priced aftershaves have a high alcohol content and may contain parabens. Their scents are usually strong but rarely pleasant.
- Ingredients. The more natural ingredients, such as essential oils, the aftershave contains the better moisturizing properties it offers. Always look for either alcohol or witch hazel. They give an antibacterial effect. Try to avoid products containing parabens. Avoid grapefruit, high camphor or alcohol content, lemon oil, and eucalyptus. These ingredients dry your skin.
- Packaging. Always check out how to apply the aftershave. Spray bottles are the simplest. Dispensers are good as well. Bottles with large openings lead to overusing the product.
- Type. Depending on your skin type, choose between lotion, oil, and balm.
Tips for Using Aftershave
- Unless the aftershave comes in a spray bottle, apply it to your clean hands and spread it evenly over them to generate heat.
- Expose your palms to the air for several seconds. This will help some alcohol evaporate and reduce the unpleasant burning feeling.
- Gently tap the shaved areas with your hands to apply the aftershave. Start with cheekbones, go down to the jawline, and finish at the neck area.
- You may need to reapply the aftershave if the skin still feels uncomfortable.
- If your skin feels dry and irritated after using an aftershave, you need to choose another one. The only way to find your perfect aftershave is the trial and error method.
- If you are prone to allergies, spot test the aftershave on your neck before applying it to your whole face.
- The fragrance will usually air out after a while so don’t be put off by a strong scent.
- Spray bottles with aftershave are convenient but they have a slight learning curve. Consider spraying the lotion on your hands first. This will keep it from accidentally getting into your eyes.
- Aftershave is not a cologne so use it only on your face (neck, cheekbones). Putting it on your wrists is a bad idea.
- Don’t mix cologne and aftershave unless you are 100% sure the scents match. Clashing scents can be terrible for your image and hard to wash out.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Is aftershave really necessary?
Ans: Some men avoid using aftershave. It’s possible but not very convenient. If you opt out of using an aftershave, you need to use an antiseptic and a skin moisturizer separately to make your face look good.
Q: Can I use my aftershave as a cologne?
Ans: Yes, but the effect will not be as strong as when you use a real cologne.
Q: What purpose does the alcohol in the aftershave serve?
Ans: Alcohol provides an anti-bacterial effect, not allowing the infection to affect the nicked and scratched skin.
We hope you enjoyed choosing the best aftershave product together with us. If our picks aren’t suitable for you, use our tips to choose your perfect option. Remember, choosing a face care product involves the trial and error method. Good luck!